There is a unique application for raising funds for free Certified Nursing Assistant Classes adopted by Oklahoma State Department of Health. This project has been set up with the help and cooperation of Tulsa Community College in association with Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education.
With the joint efforts a fund more than $370,000 has been accumulated for this unique project. It is planned during the year 2010 around 1000 students shall be in a position avail of this free education facilities.
Penalty Funding a Good Cause:
The funds required for funding the project of free training classes, is from the penalties levied by OSDH on Nursing Homes found providing substandard health service to their patients. The situation is like this Certified Nursing Assistants from these Nursing Homes shall be the beneficiaries of the Scholarships to undergo training in the classes. This shall help these nursing homes ultimately to deliver better patient care services.
The basic concept of the free classes for CNA candidates is to help in enhancing the degree of competence of the candidates through professional teaching, the modern practices in their sphere of activities, so that without pinch on their pocket they learn theory as well as practical applications and implement the same on the job they are performing.
The candidates shall be in a position to rise to CNA level 2 and even CNA-3 level. CNA 3 level is not funded to be free.
The objective of the free project is to provide an opportunity to working CNA class, who shall not get support from their employers to fund for their career advancement.
The proposed project program is combination of online learning concept and normal class room learning environment providing laboratories to the candidates. This shall enable the students to learn and achieve skills to pass the test successfully.
For eligibility all the candidates should have access to the computer for effective participation in the program.
• Keeping in view this fact one is required to submit application early to avoid disappointment.
• There is a prescribed test, which the candidates have to pass to get the admission in the college.
• The minimum scoring to be obtained in the prescribed test is 80 % and should have worked in a health care establishment for at least six months.
• There should be a recommendation from the administrator of the organization where working.
The free cna training classes are of 30 hours duration covering 11 modules spending about three hours on each module. This is a 5 dull days training and has its focus on following topics:
• Safety on job aspects.
• Team work Participation.
• Aging and associated sickness.
• Effective Communications.
• Nutritional Challenges & Management.
• Quality of Life issues.
• Caring dementia.
• Role of Family in Health Care.
• Changes in Culture and Restoration of need based Care.
• Role of Spirituality in one’s daily life.
• Closing the Chapter with a brief on Dying.
As a precautionary measure there is no guarantee of free funding and admission to the college, it is subject to availability of the funds and admission seats in the college. The applicants need to be accepted in Tulsa Community College fulfilling the eligibility norms.
Around 66000 CNA- registrations are found in the records maintained at Oklahoma, all of them are eligible out of which only 1000 would considered on merits.